Friday, January 17, 2014

Birth Control Haters

So the article I want to comment on is not recent, but it still makes me angry everytime I think about it. 

http://www.treehugger.com/health/why-i-wont-consider-using-natural-birth-control-methods.html

This woman wrote an article about Natural vs. Artifical Birth Control, claiming that natural birth control is not as reliable as traditional birth control. And no offense to her, but I could really wring her neck for the way she talks about this issue. She talks about it as if taking birth control is as normal as eating food for breakfast or drinking water during the day. As if its a normal part of life, that is a requirement/necessity to take to survive normally. Guess what, sweetheart, ITS NOT. And as a Treehugger writer, I'm surprised she takes part in such alteration of her own body. Below is what I wrote write after I read this article, fuming at my office desk. 
 

While I agree that it is probably hard to change birth controls (I actually dont know, I try to limit the amount of foreign things that enter my body, especially things i cant spell or pronounce), and that is not something to be taken lightly, the issue at hand here is not the birth control, its the responsibility. Sex is not like blinking your eye or going to the bathroom. While it happens often, there is a conscious choice that is involved in the process. And those that are not capable of dealing with the consequences that arise then should not be partaking. 

I don't think its fair to blame natural birth control for not being as reliable, when the only rouge variable in this equation is your mind and the conscious decision to have sex. If one is not ready to have a child or get an abortion, deal with the horrors of STDs, then they should be making the conscious decision to abstain. Even though I am far from abstinence, as a young woman who enjoys sex very much, I also have all my escape routes and mental plans for if/when problems arise. 

Don't blame failures on birth control, especially when they don’t advertise 100% success. The responsibility is on the women who cant cope with the consequences. I'm sorry, but women, its time to start taking responsibility for your actions and conscious decisions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment