Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Boogie Man of Judiasm: Interfaith Marriages

This morning I had a second to scan at the newspaper in front of my Bolthouse Farm Juice and Orange Juice cocktail.

Now do not be mistaken, reading the newspaper is not something I do regularly, but I caught something on the front page of the Forward (a Jewish publication) of all newspapers. Now, the fact that my family gets the publication should give you some indication of my Jewish background, i.e. parents. are. observant.

The piece was titled " find title" Even though normally I would never consider reading a Jewish newspaper, I couldn't help but to scoff and wonder what the spin of this article would be. So I proceeded to page A10.

The author of this article, argued about the inevitability of intermarriage. He quoted another rabbi has saying that intermarriage is like gravity, and this author explored that by saying we could accept it as inevitability, or we can encourage our fellow jews to stay true to our faith and relations. That with staying strong we can keep our faith alive and continue our sacred traditions that have been passed thru generations. If we intermarry, we will surely loose these rituals. He says do not accept inevitability and try to compensate, rather  encourage your fellow jews to keep the noogie within the faith. Avoid American assimilation. Its imperative.



Well, heres my thoughts: this author can take his conservative views and shove them where the green don't grow. I grew up from a young age being told that after high school I had to date a Jew. And I have stayed strong against that, dating nothing but beautiful blonde haired blue-eyed guys and men my whole life. I never dated a Jew and I couldn't be more happy with my desicion. I'll just come right out and say that I think Jewish men are momma's boys. They are whipped by thier women.

These are the times of the future. Religion has to be static and flexible, otherwise it will never be able to stretch and twist with these changing times. Thats why so many people have abandoned it in the traditional sense. There are too many rules today that can't be justified within our societal context. Why bother with something that we can't even relate to?

Is this guy really concerned with the love of interfaith couples? If he's so worried that Judaism will die with assimilation, perhaps he should be spending his time integrating Judaism into the future so the children can be taught to appreciate the traditions for their excitement, mystery and stories,  instead of being told before they can spell that they can have to marry a Jew. Certainly didn't work for me!

 I love my non-Jewish boyfriend. Heck, maybe I'll marry him.

No comments:

Post a Comment